Anti-Racism Statement | The ReFrame Group
The last two months of social unrest led by the Black Lives Matter movement have brought the collective plight of people who are Black and People of Colour to the centre stage of global discourse. The ReFrame Group would like to issue this Anti-Racism Statement and acknowledge that this issue is both historically and systematically deep-rooted, and that the suffering of people who are Black, People of Colour, and Indigenous Canadians have been occurring for far longer than these recent events.
“Let’s get to work tackling racism by developing ourselves and each other in order to become accountable leaders.”
– Anthea Kelsick, Co-CEO B Lab N. America.
The ReFrame Group would like to state that we are committed to justice, equity, and compassion in all human relations. We unequivocally stand against all forms of racism, violence and hate. As a Certified B Corporation, we passionately believe in using our business as a force for good and vehicle for change. These beliefs are integral parts of our company DNA, which manifest in our purpose statement: To help people thrive today and protect tomorrow.
“The B Corp community works toward reduced inequality, lower levels of poverty, a healthier environment, stronger communities, and the creation of more high-quality jobs with dignity and purpose. By harnessing the power of business, B Corps use profits and growth as a means to a greater end: positive impact for their employees, communities, and the environment.” – Sea to Sky Removal Anti-Racism Statement.
Actionable Steps We Have Been Taking
- We have a formal policy regarding a set percentage of our total micro-financing going to Black communities
- We include a statement in all our job postings with a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, as well as including salaries in job postings
- We are committed to using data and reporting to understand how many of our client stakeholders (people insured by our clients) are Black, People of Colour, Women and other underrepresented people.
Actionable Steps We Have Committed to Taking
- We have committed to tracking the diversity of ownership among our vendors
- We have committed to the creation of a formal policy regarding a set percentage of our total service grants program being provided to businesses operated by underrepresented populations. This will be in place by December 31, 2020
- We have committed to using inclusive hiring language in our recruitment process
- We have committed to conducting a “blind hiring” process
We would like to acknowledge that racism is often unintentional, unconscious and systematically entrenched in society to a point that identifying racism as an issue does not necessarily mean those involved in the act intend negative impact. With this in mind, and through ongoing education on the issue, we vow to be a company that values anti-racism and intentionally identify, discuss and challenge issues of colour and race in our organization’s processes, people and systems. We also challenge ourselves as individuals to learn from and correct any issues we discover during this process.
If you are interested in joining our team in a journey of education and reflection on the issue of racism, a great place to start is the B Corporation Anti-Racism Resources.
We would also like to thank Sea to Sky Removal, Decade Impact and B Lab for their support and guidance in issuing this Anti-Racism Statement.